Change Chrome search default language

Posted on December 7, 2010
by

The last day, I was given a brand new MacBook Pro at my new job. First thing to do: open Safari … in order to download Chrome! But I don’t know why (some traces of French settings?), the default search engine for Chrome was google.fr (french language), and not google.com (english language). Impossible to change it in the list of search engines, and there was this google:baseurl setting (set to google.fr) that I couldn’t overwrite. No way until I found the solution below.

Stop Chrome.

Open the following file (on Mac OS X, files is located elsewhere for Linux and Windows users):

vim ~/Library/Application\ Support/Google/Chrome/Local\ State

And look for the three following lines:

"StartupDNSPrefetchList": [ 1, "http://www.google.fr/" ]
"last_known_google_url": "http://www.google.fr/"
"last_prompted_google_url": "http://www.google.fr/"

There, change the URL by the one you want (in my case I turned google.fr in google.com).

Restart Chrome.

The default language for google should be english now. At least, it worked for me 🙂

About the author

Cyril Mazur is a serial web entrepreneur with experience in various fields: online dating, forex & finance, blogging, online advertising... who enjoys building things that people like to use.

Leave the first comment